Sunday, January 11, 2009

Help the MPD with your Graphical Skills

Okay, I admit it. My strong suite is not doing graphics, it is dealing with data. That means I need help on the graphical side. I need some better looking icons for our maps to denote the following:

Burglars
Parolees
Sex Offenders
Warrants
Felons
Scofflaws
Gangsters

I created the icon below and I think it looks ok, but I would much rather have someone volunteer to do some custom icons for the MPD's maps. If anyone out there woujld like to volunteer their talents . . . I would love to take advantage of your skills. I've always heard the "form follows function". Well, the functionality is there, but I think the form could be better. Anyone interested in helping?




4 comments:

Tom Guleff said...

John, how about using clipart ?

John Harvey said...

Clipart? Did you say clipart? Don’t talk to me about clipart? (think about the Nawlins NFL coach in the Bud commercial)

I want something that is a little slicker than that. Push comes to shove, I’ll just create some buttons and do some kind of image overlay. I would really like to have some killer graphics though.

John Harvey

Tom Guleff said...

This Bud's for you, Mr Real Men of Genius.

Anonymous said...

john:
try the esri 'crime analysis' symbolset (scott B. has it in gis software) It can be a hoot-chalk outlines, busted cuffs, etc.

capn rick
gis headman