Monday, November 05, 2007

Are We Too Intellectual to Be Concerned About Crime?

In the words of a German Pastor

In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist; And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist; And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew; And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

I know people like to hide their heads in the sand and pretend the criminals won't come for them, but guess what, unless we do something, they will!

It boggles the mind to think that things are this out of control, but the data doesn't lie. Citizens are being terrorized by about 5% of the population. I don't worry for me, because I carry a gun or two or .... I've also been to shooting school, a bunch, and I hit what I draw down on. But my kids and my wife, and neighbors, and well, I think you get the picture.

Take a look at this graph and then take the time to email your legislators, or pick up the phone and call them. We need to stop doing what isn't working. My sentencing matrix would be a good place to start!

Over 36,000 people have been booked in the county jail between 6 and 10 times. Over 16,000 have been booked between 11 and 15 times. So that means over 50,000 people have been booked between 6 and 15 times!

A point to consider, just so you won't doubt the data analysis, is the RNI (records and identification) number. RNI numbers are those numbers that are assigned to each individual after their fingerprints have been taken and run through the AFIS system. Each number is unique and the numbers are assigned incrementally. The first number was 1 and today the numbers are up to over 376,250. That's a total greater than the population of Cincinnati, Ohio or Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Click to enlarge this image (IF YOU DARE)

No comments: